Did you know that labor unions made the following 36 things possible?
- Weekends without work
- All breaks at work, including your lunch breaks
- Paid vacation
- Family & Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Sick leave
- Social Security
- Minimum wage
- Civil Rights Act/Title VII – prohibits employer discrimination
- 8-hour workday
- Overtime pay
- Child labor laws
- Occupational Safety & Health Act (OSHA)
- 40-hour work week
- Workers’ compensation (workers’ comp)
- Unemployment insurance
- Workplace safety standards and regulations
- Employer health care insurance
- Collective bargaining rights for employees
- Wrongful termination laws
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA)
- Whistleblower protection laws
- Veteran’s Employment and Training Services (VETS)
- Compensation increases and evaluations (i.e. raises)
- Sexual harassment laws
- American Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Holiday pay
- Employer dental, life, and vision insurance
- Privacy rights
- Pregnancy and parental leave
- Military leave
- The right to strike
- Public education for children
- Equal Pay Acts of 1963 & 2011 – requires employers pay men and women equally for the same amount of work
- Laws ending sweatshops in the United States
Thank Your Union!
If you are not yet a full-dues paying member, join CWA Local 4502 today. Contact a CWA Rep or reach out to Wayne Trakas-Lawyor at 614-485-1265.
Strong union membership is key to raising income levels, providing benefits such as retirement security, health insurance, and giving workers a voice when it comes to negotiating and enforcing our contracts. By being united with other CWA Local 4502 members our voices will be stronger, and we will be able to negotiate contracts with better pay, benefits, and working conditions.
Join together for a stronger voice for better wages and working conditions!
- The higher our membership, the more power we have at the bargaining table, and the better our chances of winning a good contract. The power of our union is in its numbers.
- Only members have a vote — in choosing who runs the union, whether we go on strike, and whether or not to ratify a contract or increase dues.
- Members are eligible for many benefits, including scholarship awards, services, discounts, and coupons.